Search this blog

24 June 2010

Floral Collection

Following the Grid Lock challenge, I have revisited a previous inchie project to add it to my altered book art journal.


I used a grid of 5 by 6 across the two page spread, using negative space to create a feeling that some inchies had been lost over time, just as old books sometimes lose pages due to their age or by frequent reading.

I took my colour lead from the top two inchies, which have rich gold & yellow, ruby red & purple.

To create the background

The pages were first coated in gesso. I use clear gesso as I like the effect of the original words showing through my artwork.

Layers of acrylic paint were then applied to add colour.


To add further interest, I overstamped the dried paint, using two mini classic rubber stamps by Tim Holtz & Distress Ink (dusty concord). Whilst the ink was still wet, I spritzed the pages with water using a Mini Mister. This feathered the stamped images & toned down the colour of the ink.


I took a container with a small amount a water & added a little of the ink to create a purple liquid to then splash over the top.


I sprinkled Perfect Pearls powder (Heirloom Gold) over the wet surface & then dried the pages using a heat gun.


To create the inchies

The inchie collection was made by taking just one leaflet, which came with the Sunday papers & cutting out the inch squares & words.


The square cuttings were adhered to white card to add structure, then the edges were inked with Distress Ink (dusty concord).

A single word was then adhered to each inchie.


To complete the pages, I added four gold coloured metal ornate corners & ribbon down the centre to act as the page tab.


You can see the original inchie project from 2008 here.

14 comments:

  1. Great to get news of your new pages via twitter. I love the background with the layers and ink drops, very romantic and mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daisy - terrific pages! Thanks for all the details on how your created them. I especially love how you left a few out, and why. Clever! Thanks for another street team entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is lovely. I really like how the background is so dreamy and how we can see so much of it because of how and where you placed the inchies. Great composition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't believe I've actually found a spare few mins to come and visit Daisy, but am so glad I did, this journal is stunning, I love, love love it. What a fabulous item to keep and continually revisit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, such lovely comments. Thank you everyone :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is absolutely lovely! I love how you made the background. I've never used clear gesso but now I want to try it! And I really love the "feathered" stamp effect. Will have to try that as well. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Cheers,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your process. The results are very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your background it's so soft. Great page!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pages, and thank you for sharing with us how you made these !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE how you made the pattern open/random to imply some had gotten lost. It creates a wonderful feel to the page.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful grid, soft and mysterious. Great tutorial. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Daisy,

    Yes, I have definately caught the GPP bug!

    I love the depth of your pages. I used inchies too for my grid lock page.

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete