Search this blog

03 July 2010

Laughter with Trinchies

I've been able to closet myself away today & work on my art journal. I've found the courage to plough into this now & am really enjoying the process. Today, I revisited a page spread I began two years ago.


These words were printed in the book, so to protect them from the original layers of clear gesso & paint, I used drawing gum, which is rubbed off easily once the layers have dried. These words formed the theme of this layout. I included a printed copy of a favourite Moo (the original of which can be seen here).


Interest was added by including a cut through to the next set of altered pages, which has the full stamped image of Tim Holtz mini Be Yourself girl, which I use as my avatar. Through the hole you can read the text on that image, be yourself.


The harlequin art doll was placed here because it always makes me smile & now it has a safe place to live.


So what to do next. I had another group of inchies, an unfinished project, yet unmounted & gathering dust in my craft drawer. I cut each one in half to create triangles (trinchies maybe) & sanded the edges to give each one a white border.


This page began with a brown base, but was overpainted with purple, gold & green acrylic paints to match the inchies, with splashes of Distress Ink (dusty corduroy).


I love the mix of textures; the rough surface of the gesso, yet it's translucency revealing the type print underneath, the sheen of the acrylic paints & watery drops of deep colour.


The inchie triangles were adhered & coated with matte Studio multi-medium, around the existing work.


I added a word definition, torn from an old dictionary & aged with Distress Ink (antique linen), a couple of butterflies, a few coloured dewdrops & as they say, Voila!