Search this blog

11 April 2018

Finding the Right Words

Lesson 14 of the Wanderlust 2018 online course was with Cat Kerr.


She used metal pieces with soldering equipment
to make a bobbin style object.
Then she wound mono-printed paper around it to make a scroll.


I opted to make a 3¼ inch tall cardboard bobbin.

I used the inside of a roll of cling film for the middle
& cut two circles from a cardboard box for the ends.

I used Golden Soft Gel Medium to adhere the pieces together.

Once the medium had dried, I painted it with DecoArt Media Black Gesso.


I selected a piece of scrap paper 
& cut to fit around the middle of my bobbin.
It was a page from my old typing workbook.

I swiped DecoArt Media White Gesso lightly over both sides
& left to dry.


Next I found a poem that spoke to me.

This was one of my April Prompts,


The poem is Friendship
by Elizabeth Jennings

Such love I cannot analyse;
It does not rest in lips or eyes, 
Neither in kisses nor caress. 
Partly, I know, it’s gentleness


And understanding in one word
Or in brief letters. It’s preserved
By trust and by respect and awe. 
These are the words I’m feeling for.


Two people, yes, two lasting friends. 
The giving comes, the taking ends.
There is no measure for such things.
For this all Nature slows and sings.


I also used washi tapes
fabric tape
two old buttons
Distress Marker (black soot)
printed text &
a butterfly image from Percy & Bloom


I enjoyed making this piece,
using what I had to hand,
created in my own style
& made with gratitude to Cat for her inspiration.