Search this blog

18 May 2017

Free from all restraint

The Wanderlust lesson for week 19 was by Kate Crane.

Her theme was patchwork.


The base of my page is watercolour card,
with a thin layer of white gesso.

 In the photograph below, you can see some of the texture I created in the wet gesso.


The word May was cut out from the calendar
I have been using for the Wanderlust course.

Every month I have included the name on one of the pieces made during that month.


Detail was added with doodles
& a hand carved rubber stamp.


I added a variety of washi tapes,
including this numerical piece of handmade washi style tape.


The book text was cut from my copy of Pride & Prejudice.


So why did I choose those particular words?

I usually find that following someone else's direction restricts my creativity.

My pleasure in art, is doing my own thing,
& following my own lead.

I stared at my piece ...
at the butterfly,
examined my feelings
& realised that although the patchwork style is restrictive in it's essence,
what I had created was still identifiable as my own work,
therefore I had allowed my own style to show through,
so I had been free to express myself.

It was just a different kind of freedom.


So what did I learn from this week's lesson?

I have learnt that using soft sable paint brushes
to try to control acrylic paint
 is not such a good idea.
I think the moment has arrived for me to invest in more suitable brushes.

That it is good, at times, to force yourself to experiment
with different styles & techniques.

I actually prefer the background on my mop up page (shown below),
which I created using the paint leftover on my craft sheet.

Learning what you don't like
is as important as understanding what you do like.


I also used acrylic paint (Waterfall/Tide Pool/Pistachio/Black)
Distress Crayon (twisted citron)
Gelatos (Pistachio & Snow Cone)
Distress Marker (black soot)
dylusions paint pen (black marble)
Uniball Signo pigment ink pen (Silver)