Search this blog

28 May 2010

A Stroll in the Sun

My project this week has been to work on a blank canvas (5 x 6¾ inches). As with most blank canvases, it was rather daunting, but taking inspiration from Tim Holtz blog theme this week of Distress, I took two plain white Prima paper flowers & let my creativity flow ...


To distress the flowers, I used Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabbers (Sandal, Hazelnut & Lettuce). I added an old button to the centre of each flower, using gold metallic thread, then stitched along the petals. A few touches of gold from my Marvy Metallics pen & Gold Stickles to finish.

So on to the canvas. I began with a rectangle of Hazelnut paint. Once dried, I brushed a little Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls, then I added Lettuce, edging it with Gold Stickles.



The centre motif uses handmade cream paper, cream jute ribbon, a square of white mountboard coated in Distress crackle paint (antique linen) with a button with gold metallic thread in the middle.


The Flora Doodles velvet butterfly was distressed with Distress Ink (brushed corduroy). I added lime green gems to the wings & Stickles. I removed the original black antenna & replaced them with my own hand coiled gold wire ones.

I composed a Haiku (a Japanese poem) to tie the canvas elements together. The words were printed on white copy paper. Each word was torn out to create the frayed edges, then they were inked with brushed corduroy Distress Ink. The words were adhered to the canvas using Glossy Accents.