Search this blog

03 March 2017

Playing with Paint

Creating colour swatches
from three of Dina Wakley Media Heavy Body Acrylic Paints

Not new colours, but now they are available in a new size.
As well as the original 2oz artists tubes,
you can now purchase these paints (& her other mediums) in 1oz bottles,
which is very useful if you like to travel light
or like me, you are just running out of space to store art supplies.

There was a need for these in my artist life, but which colours should I choose?

I really couldn't decide, so to start I plumped for
Lemon, Ruby & Lapis.


Yesterday I spent some time getting to know them,
mixing them,
falling in love with their strong pigment,
adding a little white to make more colours.
I could have played for hours.

The tape in the top corner is the widest Dina Wakley Media Tape (1 inch).
I used strips of tape for any excess paint, with a Tim Holtz Stencil (Faded Dots).
These will be added to projects later on.

I am going to attempt to show you the colours created,
but the light today is very dull.
It's overcast & currently raining.

Firstly the three primary colours.


From the Lemon & Ruby, there was a strong vibrant orange.


From the Lemon & Lapis, there was a deep dark forest green.


From the Ruby & Lapis, there was a sumptuous rich aubergine (eggplant).


Mix all three primary colours & you get a delicious milk chocolate brown,
which to my eye, looks like Umber in Dina's colour chart.


Here are the Primary & Secondary colours together with brown in the middle.


To the Lemon I added a drop of Liquid Pearls (White Opal),
which gave a real sheen & reflection to the surface.


To the other colours, I just added white to create Tints.


Lots more playing to do ...