Search this blog

20 February 2015

Eternal Love


I have again combined two weeks of challenges & prompts
from The Documented Life Project.


We have started a new month, which means a new theme.

February's theme is Layers you will love.

The Art Challenges are
Week 6.  When not to stop
Week 7.  Covering up good stuff
& the Journal Prompts are
Week 6.  "Don't stop 'til you get enough"     
Week 7.  Going undercover
"Eternal love shines in my eyes"

Taking inspiration from the song lyrics, I created a hot wax covered heart tag as my focal point
& the quote for my page is a line from the song.

The background is blended Distress Inks (broken china, fired brick, mustard seed, spiced marmalade  & peeled paint), first sprayed with a fine mist of water, then with a spray of Gelatos (Snow Cone).

The first few layers

I used Perfect Pearls (Green Patina) mixed with water to splatter over the pages.

Then I scribbled around the edges with the Uni Posca white paint pen.

White gesso circles

The next layer is a strip of printed vellum, then circles stamped using the bottom of a Gelatos stick dipped in white gesso & then I added printed text for the words from the song.



The tag is made of two components; the base tag & the wax covered heart,
both shaped from thin cardboard, which had been coated with white gesso.

A corner of my Heart

The heart was created using hot melted beeswax, with papers layered & burnished
with Perfect Pearls (Heirloom Gold, Green Patina & Blue Patina) as a highlight around the edges.

The shine from Perfect Pearls powder

The wax & Perfect Pearls were buffed to create a glossy, yet incredibly textural finish.

The butterfly image is from Crafty Individuals.

The tag base was covered in old sheet music paper, coloured with Gelatos (Snow Cone & Margarita Mix), layered with tissue paper & sheet music vellum, to tie the two elements together.

Base of tag

I also added white circles to tie the tag to the page background,
then sprayed a fine mist of Gelatos (Snow Cone).

The back of the tag was covered in sheet music, a strip of tissue paper
& another butterfly image from Crafty Individuals.

I added a thin layer of white gesso over the papers, so I would be able to journal on top.

Space to journal on back of the tag

So with just a few elements from 7 Dots Studio, one being used as a pocket for the tag to sit behind
& ribbon for the top of the tag, I think my piece is complete.

Pocket for tag

My art journal is a place to play, to experiment, learn, but mainly just to be creative,
which is what I love to do.

Tag secured in journal pocket