Search this blog

06 April 2013

Postcard Art

The Liberate your Art project, organised by Kat Sloma, is a way
for artists to share their own artwork with like-minded artists.

Participants reproduced copies of their original art in postcard form, sending five copies to Kat, who then mailed five postcards back from five different artists.

If you click on the button below you will find a list of those taking part this year, with links to their artwork.


In tribute to the project, I have made my own postcard sized image.

I photographed a page from my altered book
then added the words from a poem I wrote back in 2010.


Here are the details of how the original background was created.

The book page was first coated with a layer of clear gesso.

Once dried, I added colour using Eco Green Crafts acrylic paints
(Pistachio, Tide Pool, Waterfall & White).

Whilst the paint was still wet, I sprinkled Ranger Perfect Pearls
(Blue Patina & Green Patina) 
& splashed some diluted Ranger Distress Ink over the top (broken china).

The layers shown are watercolour paper coloured with
four Ranger Distress Inks
(pine needles, broken china, peeled paint & weathered wood).

The glass is a Robin's Nest Dewdrop.

Some of the original printed words still peep through the coats
of gesso, paints, inks & powders.

I love the blended colours of watery blues & greens,
with the varying textures from the gritty gesso base,
the torn & cut watercolour paper to the hard glossy glass.

The light bounces back from the glass & is caught by the iridescence of the powders.