Search this blog

18 May 2012

Sweet Melody

I was so excited to learn that Priscilla Jones had an article in the current issue of Stitch magazine, which included a tutorial of her mixed media canvases.

So only using items I already had to hand, I plowed in to create my mixed media canvas.


The first step was to plan my layout & draw a quick sketch.


The canvas is 3 by 4 inches. I painted a base coat of Eco Green acrylic paint (Orchid) incorporating two strips of torn music paper. Once dried I added two further strips of music paper & then a coat of watered down acrylic paint (White). One more coat, this time a mix of emulsion (Dulux Springtime) & matte multi-medium to tone down the background colour & blend in the whiteness of the paper. I allowed it to run down the edges of the canvas for extra textural effect.


To create the topper, I first cut up some neutral shaded fabric & coated it with the white paint & allowed to dry. The fabrics were hand stitched together, using pale coloured thread. Priscilla uses the free stitching setting on her sewing machine, but all my stitching is done by hand.


My bird is made from three different fabrics, stitched together with bolder coloured thread & then stitched onto the fabric background. To embellish, I added the words & four buttons.


I thoroughly enjoyed following her tutorial & it has given me a deeper admiration for Priscilla's work, which I already adore.