Search this blog

07 July 2011

Colour

My creative prompt this month is colour.

Last month Michelle Ward at Green Pepper Press
asked her Street Team to think about our colour palettes
& asked us whether they were influenced or changed by the seasons.

My instinctive colour palette is muted earth & neutral tones,
which I tend to use all year round.

I rarely use pastels or overtly vivid colours.

This month Michelle's crusade is again about colour,
but this time challenging us to create & name new colours.

I have been pondering these thoughts,
allowing the creative process to sink deep into my subconscious
waiting for inspiration to raise to the surface ...
which it did yesterday.


A different response than the other team members,
mine was inspired by the Ministry of Information poster

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the design you can see an image of the poster here.

I am a firm believer that the creative process
should be a positive & beautiful one.

Following this mantra,
I wanted to create a set of inchies using the design influences
& positivity of the original poster.

I used a Dover butterfly image instead of the crown
with a few of my favourite quotes & sayings.

I made a few more inchies to complete the colour spectrum ...


where THOUGHTS GROW as FREELY AS FLOWERS



LIFE IS A CIRCUS



SEIZE THE MOMENT



BE FREE TO BE YOURSELF

With colour in the forefront of my mind,
I made my colour choice,
then allowed the colour to dictate which quote or saying to use.

The words then became the name of each colour.

I have created & named nine colours,
which are in essence the basis of my creative colour palette.

So to my completed project.

I used the last pages in the 4x4 inch dimensional art journal
that I have been using for my recent Street Team crusades.


I used patterned paper by K & Company for the background,
then adhered my inspirational inchies.




To tie the project to the previous crusades,
I used a nameplate image from Michelle's Evidence sheet to record each colour name.


I made a tag to record the RGB codes of my colours for future reference.


It's a nice way to complete my journal.