Search this blog

24 June 2010

Floral Collection

Following the Grid Lock challenge,
I have revisited a previous inchie project
to add it to my altered book art journal.



I used a grid of 5 by 6 across the two page spread,
using negative space to create a feeling
that some inchies had been lost over time,
just as old books sometimes lose pages
due to their age or by frequent reading.

I took my colour lead from the top two inchies,
which have rich gold & yellow, ruby red & purple.

To create the background

The pages were first coated in gesso.
I use clear gesso as I like the effect of the original words
showing through my artwork.

Layers of acrylic paint were then applied to add colour.



To add further interest, I overstamped the dried paint,
using two mini classic rubber stamps by Tim Holtz
& Distress Ink (dusty concord).

Whilst the ink was still wet,
I spritzed the pages with water using a Mini Mister.

This feathered the stamped images
& toned down the colour of the ink.



I took a container with a small amount a water
& added a little of the ink
to create a purple liquid to then splash over the top.



I sprinkled Perfect Pearls powder (Heirloom Gold)
over the wet surface & then dried the pages using a heat gun.


To create the inchies

The inchie collection was made by taking just one leaflet,
which came with the Sunday papers
& cutting out the inch squares & words.



The square cuttings were adhered to white card to add structure,
then the edges were inked with Distress Ink (dusty concord).

A single word was then adhered to each inchie.



To complete the pages, I added four gold coloured metal ornate corners
& ribbon down the centre to act as the page tab.



You can see the original inchie project from 2008 here.